AWS Discussion Forum

Full Version: Purchasing Windows Server Reserved Instance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking to plunk down and buy a reserved instance for some Windows Server 2019 standard instances. I just want to make sure I'm selecting the right instance as my options appear to be Windows, Windows with SQL Server Standard, Windows with SQL Server Web, and Windows with SQL Server Enterprise. I don't need SQL server. I'm thinking that the Windows option is the correct one even though it doesn't say server.
(17-03-2023, 06:54 PM)rnrstar Wrote: [ -> ]I'm looking to plunk down and buy a reserved instance for some Windows Server 2019 standard instances. I just want to make sure I'm selecting the right instance as my options appear to be Windows, Windows with SQL Server Standard, Windows with SQL Server Web, and Windows with SQL Server Enterprise. I don't need SQL server. I'm thinking that the Windows option is the correct one even though it doesn't say server.

Yes, Just plain Windows is the correct option. This is because all virtual servers on AWS run the Server version as Microsoft will not allow you to run a desktop OS on these virtual servers as per their licensing terms unless it's dedicated hardware that you are paying for. Reserved Instances aren't dedicated hardware, they are just a guarantee that there will always be capacity reserved for you for the instance type selected in your reserved instance contract.